Frequently asked questions about the
Maui Marathon, Marathon Relay, Half Marathon, 10k and 5k
When is the 2021 Maui Marathon?
- The 50th Annual Maui Marathon is scheduled for April 25, 2021
Is the Maui Marathon course certified?
- Yes, the Maui Marathon course is USATF certified and our race director holds the RRCA race directors certification as well!
Is the Maui Marathon a Boston Marathon qualifier?
- Yes, the Maui Marathon is a Boston Marathon qualifier.
Time and Schedule
What time do the running events start on Sunday?
- Marathon and marathon relay starts at 5:00 am at the Sugar Mill in Kahului
- Half marathon starts at 5:30 am in front of the Ka’anapali Beach Hotel in Ka’anapali
- 10k starts at 5:45 am in front of the Ka’anapali Beach Hotel in Ka’anapali
- 5k starts at 5:55 am in front of the Ka’anapali Beach Hotel in Ka’anapali
What time are the non-running events?
- Race packet pick up will be held on Friday April 23 and Saturday April 24.
Are there any shuttles for the events?
- There will be shuttles from the Lahaina Civic Center overflow parking lot starting at 2:00m Visit our Parking & Shuttles page for full details.
Will it be dark when I start?
- Sunrise on race day is at 5:50am It will be dark for the beginning of all events.
Where do I go for packet pick-up?
- Packet pick up will be held in the Ohana Room at the Ka’anapali Beach Hotel on Friday April 23 and 24. There you will pick up your goodie bag, bib number and t-shirt for the event. There is no race day pick-up.
Do I have to present an ID?
- We recommend you bring your ID with you just in case there could be a problem.
Can I pick up a friend or relatives packet?
- Yes you can, but please bring your ID and an email or letter from the runner stating that you are picking up said packet for them. (The email can be printed or shown on a mobile device)
Is there chip timing?
- Yes, the chip is on the bib. There will be half way point split time for the marathon. For Live Results details, please visit our Timing page.
Can I change my t-shirt size when I come to pick up my packet?
- T-shirts are reserved for participants who sign up before March 9th, 2021. You will be given the t-shirt size that you selected during the online registration process. You may be able to exchange sizes at packet pick up if the correct size you need is available at the late registration table. There is no guarantee of the correct size for exchanges or late registrations.
What happens if my name and info is not correct on registration?
- It is up to the runner to make sure all information is correct when entering the event. To make changes before the event please Contact Us. After online registration closes, all changes or corrections must be made at the Solutions Desk at packet pick up. If you notice that changes need to be made during packet pick up, please go to the Solutions Desk to have your registration updated.
- No changes are allowed on race day once the awards are printed.
Can I change events at the event?
- Yes, you may switch events but if upping in distance, the runner must pay any difference in the costs of registration. If downsizing to a shorter distance, there will be no refunds.
Do I have to pick up my packet at the expo?
- Yes, you need to pick up your packet. Your bib and race information is included in the packet and you will need these to run. Race day packet pick up will NOT be available.
Is it hot during the event?
- Temperatures fluctuate between the low 70’s at start to mid 80’s during the event. This means train smart and hydrate correctly before, during and after the event.
Are there medical staff at the event?
- There are medical tents on the marathon course at aid stations 4, 9, 13, and 16. There is also an AMR Ambulance on the course and also 2 roving medical support vehicles on the course. At the finish line there is a medical staff.
What if I have a medical problem, but can run?
- It is up to each athlete to make sure they are cleared to run, no matter how experienced you may think you are. If there are any medical conditions, allergies or the like, please complete the medical information on the back of your race bib.
Can I get a refund if I chose not to run anymore?
- No, there are no refunds
- Entries may not be rolled over to another year
- Bib numbers cannot be transferred to anyone else
Is insurance available for purchase?
- Event Insurance is available and must be purchased during the online registration process. It may NOT be purchased after you submit your online registration.
During the race
Can I run with headphones?
- For safety’s sake, we strongly discourage the use of headphones, but you may at your own risk. You must be very alert both during the race, as well as before and after, obeying all traffic laws, as well as be aware of your surroundings at all times.
Can I use a baby stroller and run with my child?
- Yes you may on the 10K & 5K course only, but you must start in the back of the pack at the start line. Be aware that you are taking full responsibility if your child gets injured during event, and neither The Maui Marathon, Valley Isle Road Runners, or any of it’s sponsors or volunteers can be held accountable in any situation.
Are lights required at the start line?
- Lights are not required, but recommended.
How many aid stations are there on the marathon course?
- There are 16 aid stations on the course, including start and finish lines.
What do the aid stations have for the runners?
- All aid stations have water and Gatorade.
Will energy food be provided along the course?
- There are no energy gels or food provided by Maui Marathon on the course.
Are there bathrooms on the course?
- Portable bathroom are available at select aid stations.
What other goodies are there to look forward to at the finish line?
- There is Gatorade and water at all aid stations as well as fruits, snacks and massage services at the finish line. There is random music throughout the course. Good fun is always available!!
What do I get for finishing my races?
- All finishers receive race specific medal, water, Gatorade, and snacks.
How are awards determined?
- Visit our Awards page for details.
Where will results be posted?
- Live results will be available. Visit our Timing page for details.
Will I get any type of certificate?
- A link will be available from the online results. You may print your own certificate.
How long will the course be open?
- The course will be open/accessible for 8 hours.
Will there be race photography?
- Yes, there is a professional photographer. A link to the photos will be posted after the race, visit our Race Photos page for details.
Are Bag/Gear checks available?
- Yes, for all races.
What do I do with my stuff before the race?
- Your goodie bags is your gear check bag and you can leave it at the start and put your things (please no valuables!) in the bag and put your name on the the bag before handing it over to the person collecting the bags. For the full marathon, after the start, the bags will be taken to the finish line where you can collect them after the race.
What if I can’t finish but don’t have a medical emergency?
- There will be a roving van on course to pick you up. Please stay at closest aid station and inform the aid station captain to call dispatch to pick you up. Please be aware that this may take time.
Do I get a medal if I don’t finish?
- No, sorry. You must finish the race to receive a “Finisher’s Medal” but the t-shirt is yours to keep.
Are the courses well marked?
- Yes, all courses are marked with cones, informative signs and course marshals at appropriate locations. Please also refer to the course maps on our website.
Can I wear a costume?
- Yes, absolutely.
Where can spectators go to watch me run?
- They can go to any open spot along the course where it is safe to enter and exit their vehicle without causing a safety issue to runners, spectators, volunteers and public traffic. Please be very cautious if attempting to cross traffic.
Can I drive myself to the start line of the Marathon?
Yes you can, however, NO PARKING IS ALLOWED AT THE START LINE AREA. Runners must be dropped off. There are shuttles available for runners who need a ride to the marathon start line. Please refer to the Parking & Shuttle page for detailed information on shuttles.
Are there race corrals?
- We do not have corrals at the Maui Marathon event.
Are there pacers for this event?
- We do not have any pacing groups.
Are walkers allowed?
- Yes, we love walkers, they are welcome at all of our events.
Can I volunteer for the Maui Marathon?
- Yes, we’re looking for volunteers for the expo and on race day.
Will there be a lost and found?
- On race day, visit the Lost & Found tent. After the event, Contact Us.
Are there handicap accessible areas at the finish?
- There are a several handicapped-accessible areas near the finish, but they are not reserved exclusively for handicapped access. We recommend the sidewalk areas near the Information tent.
Where can I buy Maui Marathon apparel?
- Apparel will be available for purchase at the Maui Marathon packet pickup.
Where can I park for the event?
PLEASE BE AWARE, THERE IS NO DISCOUNT PARKING AVAILABLE AT WHALER’S VILLAGE FOR ANY EVENTS. Visit our Parking and Shuttles page for full details on parking.
MARATHON RELAY FAQ
Where can I find detailed information regarding shuttles prior to the Race?
- For the Marathon Relay, the first runner may be taken to the start and from there on teams will use there own vehicles.
Do we use our own vehicles?
- Yes, teams must use their own vehicle – only ONE vehicle per team.
- There is NO parking at the start line area so you may drop off your 1st runner only and immediately proceed to the first exchange point at N. Kihei Rd.
- There is also NO parking at the finish line area.
- The driver of your vehicle will need to utilize the Lahaina Civic Center parking lot and our shuttles to get to the finish line. We strongly suggest you secure a room at the Westin Maui Resort & Spa for your stay, if rooms are available, so that you will have a parking spot that is within walking distance to the finish line.
Where are the Relay exchange zones located?
- There are 3 relay exchange points. Visit the Maui Marathon Relay page for an overview and course maps. Carefully read the detailed relay instructions, including any relay exchange zone information.
What will we hand off at the exchange zones?
- Your race packet will contain 5 race bibs. Each runner must wear an individual race bib.
- The 5th race bib will have a timing chip fixed to the back of the bib. This race bib will be on a race belt and must be handed off at each exchange zone.
- If this 5th race bib with the timing chip does not cross the checkpoints on the course or the finish line your team may not get a time.
Where do we get a race belt?
- A race belt will be included in your packet.
Can a team have less than 4 runners?
- Yes, however, teams with less than 4 runners will not qualify for awards.
Can I change a runner on a team with another individual?
- Team changes can be made up until March 1, 2021. After March 1, you must go to the Solutions desk at the Expo. You cannot choose different shirt sizes. You must pick up the original shirts ordered and see if the new shirt size(s) is available on race day.
I’m a Captain or non-running coordinator who has paid for the entire team. I signed the waiver when I created the team. How will the runners on my team sign their waivers?
- As Captain or non-running coordinator you must be authorized by the participants to execute the Release on their behalf as their agent and your signature constitutes acceptance of the Release by you and by the participants on the team. You are taking full responsibility for signing the electronic waiver on behalf of the participants when you sign the team up. Please read the online waiver carefully when you register.
I need more information on the Relay.
- Please visit our Maui Marathon Relay page for complete details.
Can I switch legs with a fellow team member?
- Yes, we don’t track which of your runners are running the legs so we do not need that information.
Can a team captain or team member pick up the entire team’s packet?
- We highly recommend that the captain and team runners attend the expo together for a last minute safety briefing with our staff The captain can pick up the packet for the entire team. An individual team runner can pick up their own part of the packet.