Frequently asked questions about the
Maui Marathon, Half Marathon, 10k and 5k
1. Is the Maui Marathon course certified?
- Yes, the Maui Marathon course is USATF certified and our race director holds the RRCA race directors certification as well!
2. Is the Maui Marathon a Boston Marathon qualifier?
- Yes, the Maui Marathon is a Boston Marathon qualifier.
Time and Schedule
1. What time do the running events start on Sunday?
- The marathon and marathon relay starts at 5:00 am at the end of Ho’okele st. in Kahului
- The half marathon starts at 6:00 am in front of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel in Kaanapali
- The Maui Tacos 10k starts at 6:15 am in front of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel in Kaanapali
- The Maui Tacos 5k starts at 6:25 am in front of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel in Kaanapali
2. What time are the non-running events?
- The Health and Fitness Expo starts Friday from 12pm-6pm and Saturday from 9am-5pm.
- The Awards Party will be at the oceanside lawn of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel across the street from the finish line. For detailed times visit our Awards page.
3. Are there any shuttles for the events?
- There will be shuttles from the Lahaina Civic Center overflow parking lot starting at 2:00am. Please visit our Parking & Shuttles page for full details.
4. Will it be dark when I start?
- Sunrise on race day is at 6:21am. It will be dark for the beginning of the marathon and half marathon. It will be light for the 10k and 5k races.
1. Where do I go for packet pick-up?
- Packet pick up will be at the Maui Marathon Health and Fitness Expo held in the Valley Isle Ballroom at the Westin Maui Resort & Spa on Friday and Saturday. There you will pick up your goodie bag, bib number and t-shirt for the event, as well as other items.
2. Do I have to present an ID?
- We recommend you bring your ID with you just in case there could be a problem.
3. Can I pick up a friend or relatives packet?
- Yes you can, but please bring your ID and a letter from the runner stating that you are picking up said packet for them.
4. Is there chip timing?
- Yes. The chip is on the bib. There will be half way point split time for the marathon. For Live Results details, please visit our Timing page.
5. Can I change my t-shirt size when I come to pick up my packet?
- No, not at packet pick up. You may exchange your UNUSED t-shirt on race day or the day after the race if extra shirts are available in your size. We can only give you the shirt size you registered for at packet pick up.
- To exchange your t-shirt the, go back to the expo room where you received your t-shirt during race packet pick up. The expo room will be open from 12:00 to 2:00pm on race day and from 8:00am to 10:00am the day after the races.
6. What happens if my name and info is not correct on registration?
- It is up to the runner to make sure all information is correct when entering the event. To make changes before the event please Contact us. After online registration closes, all changes or corrections must be made at the Solutions Desk at packet pick up. If you notice that changes need to be made during packet pick up, please go to the Solutions Desk to have your registration updated.
7. Can I change events at the event?
- Yes, you may switch events but if upping in distance, the runner must pay any difference in the costs of registration. If downsizing to a shorter distance, there will be no refunds.
8. Do I have to pick up my packet at the expo?
- Yes, you need to pick up your packet. Your bib and race information is included in the packet and you will need these to run. Race day packet pick up will NOT be available.
1. Is it hot during the event?
- It is warm Hawaiian weather. Temperatures fluctuate between the mid 70’s at start to low 80’s during the event. This means train smart and hydrate correctly before, during and after the event.
1. Are there medical staff at the event?
- Yes, at the finish line of the marathon and half marathon, 5k, and 10k. There are nurse’s stations on the marathon course at aid stations 4, 9, 13, and 16. There is also an EMT van, 2 SAG vehicles and 1 roving vehicle to pick up runners wishing to discontinue their event.
2. What if I have a medical problem, but can run?
- It is up to each athlete to make sure they are cleared to run, no matter how experienced you may think you are. If there are any medical conditions, allergies or the like, please put your complete information on the back of your BIB NUMBER.
1. Can I get a refund if I chose not to run anymore?
- No, there are no refunds.
- Entries may not be rolled over to another year.
- Bib numbers cannot be transferred to anyone else.
During the race
1. Can I run with headphones?
- For safety’s sake, we strongly discourage the use of headphones, but you may at your own risk. You must be very alert both during the race, as well as before and after, obeying all traffic laws, as well as be aware of your surroundings at all times.
2. Can I use a baby stroller and run with my child?
- Yes you may on the 10K & 5K course only, but you must start in the back of the pack at the start line. Be aware that you are taking full responsibility if your child gets injured during event, and neither The Maui Marathon, Valley Isle Road Runners, nor any of it’s sponsors or volunteers can be held accountable in any situation.
3. Are lights required at the start line?
- Lights are not required, but recommended.
4. How many aid stations are there on the marathon course?
- There are 18 aid stations on the course, including start and finish lines. On the marathon course aid stations are approximately 2 miles apart, until mile 14 where they will be one mile apart until the finish. For the Half Marathon, 10k and 5k, aid stations are approximately 1 mile apart.
5. What do the aid stations have for the runners?
- All aid stations have water and Gatorade. Select stations have sponges.
6. Will energy food be provided along the course?
- There are no energy gels or food provided by Maui Marathon on the course.
7. Are there bathrooms on the course?
- Yes, there will be at least one portable bathroom at select aid stations.
8. What other goodies are there to look forward to on course and at the finish line?
- There is Gatorade and water at all aid stations as well as fruits, snacks and massage services at the finish line. There is random music throughout the course. Good fun is always available!!
9. What do I get for finishing my races?
- All finishers receive race specific medal, water, Gatorade, snacks, and entertainment.
10. How are awards determined?
- Visit our Awards page for details.
11. Where will results be posted?
- Live results will be available. Visit our Timing page for details.
12. Will I get any type of certificate?
- A link will be available from the online results. You may print your own certificate.
13. How long will the course be open?
- The course will be open/accessible for 8 hours.
14. Will there be race photography?
- Yes, there is a professional photographer. A link to the photos will be posted after the race, visit our Race Photos page for details.
1. Are Bag/Gear checks available?
- Yes, for the Full Marathon only.
2. What do I do with my stuff before the race?
- We will give you a plastic bag with name and bib number on it in your race packet. Items will be transported to finish line for you, and can be claimed there. This is for the Full Marathon only.
3. What if I can’t finish but don’t have a medical emergency?
- There will be a roving van on course to pick you up. Please stay at closest aid station and inform the aid station captain to call dispatch to pick you up. Please be aware that this may take time.
4. Do I get a medal if I don’t finish?
- No, sorry. You must finish the race to receive a “Finisher’s Medal” but the t-shirt is yours to keep.
5. Are the courses well marked?
- Yes, all courses are marked with cones, informative signs and course marshals at appropriate locations. Please also refer to the course maps on our website.
6. Can I wear a costume?
- Yes, absolutely.
7. Where can spectators go to watch me run?
- They can go to any open spot along the course where it is safe to enter and exit their vehicle without causing a safety issue to runners, spectators, volunteers and public traffic. Please be very cautious if attempting to cross traffic.
8. Can I drive myself to the start line of the Marathon?
Yes you can, however, NO PARKING IS ALLOWED AT THE START LINE AREA ON HO’OKELE ST. Runners must be dropped off. There are shuttles available for runners who need a ride to the marathon start line. Please refer to the Parking & Shuttle page for detailed information on shuttles.
9. Are there race corrals?
- We do not have corrals at the Maui Marathon event.
10. Are there pacers for this event?
- We do not have any pacing groups.
11. Are walkers allowed?
- Yes, we love walkers, they are welcome at all of our events.
12. Can I volunteer for the Maui Marathon?
- Yes, we’re looking for volunteers for the expo and on race day. Click here to see where you can help.
13. Will there be a lost and found?
- On race day, visit the Lost & Found tent. After the event, Contact us.
14. Are there handicap accessible areas at the finish?
- There are a several handicapped-accessible areas near the finish, but they are not reserved exclusively for handicapped access. We recommend the sidewalk areas near the Information tent.
15. What is the date of the 2018 Maui Marathon?
- October 14, 2018 – Mark your calendars now!
16. What is the last day I can register for the 2017 Maui Marathon?
- You can register online until October 8, 2017 11:59p HST. You can register in person at the expo at an increased price. There is no race day registration.
17. Where can I buy Maui Marathon apparel?
- Apparel will be available for purchase at the Maui Marathon Expo and Finish line.